The highly anticipated Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II is coming out in October of this year. Call of Duty: Warzone is still one of the most played games in the world right now and its sequel Warzone 2 will be revealed soon. Now is a great time to get into the Call of Duty series and with this guide, we got the essential tips that you need to become a better player.
If Call of Duty isn’t your style then give these other highly competitive FPS games a try.
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
Modern Warfare was a huge breath of fresh air for the franchise. The game completely revamped all of the mechanics from previous entries while introducing many new features and mechanics.
A significant feature is that the time to kill (TTK) is shorter in this game than its predecessors. This means that a few well-placed bullets is all it takes to get a kill on your opponents. Combine this with the new, fluid movement mechanics and the gunfights are more rapid paced than ever, especially on small maps. It often comes down to a split second reaction to whoever wins a gunfight.
On the other hand, there’s a lot of “campers” because of this short TTK. Since players can get eliminated so quickly, many don’t even take the chance to move around the map to actively look for enemies. Instead, they’ll find a spot with good cover and wait for enemy players come through.
Make sure to check those corners and potential hiding spots because most likely there’s somebody there. Jump or slide around corners to get the surprise on an enemy. Or pre-aim around obstacles and corners before running through an area.
Using the field upgrade Dead Silence is a big plus as it increases your movement speed and greatly reduces the sound of your footsteps. Enemy players and campers usually get ready when they hear footsteps so Dead Silence will let you catch them off guard.
Note: Dead Silence doesn’t make your footsteps completely silent; someone with a good headset can still hear the footsteps but only when you’re very close to them.
It’s essential that you customize your weapons for quicker aim down sight speed, sprint to fire speed, and movement. Optimizing these weapon stats is even more crucial if you’re a run and gun type of player.
Any weapon with solid stopping power and fast rate of fire is a great choice. But every weapon is viable in the right hands. Here are some good weapons to use:
- AS VAL
- Bruen Mk9
Weapons are only a part of your loadout and the perks you use are equally as important. There are three slots that allow one perk to be equipped per slot. Replace your killstreaks with the Specialist to earn more perks in a match as you get kills. Below are the best and most commonly used perks (some of these perks are also used in Black Ops Cold War and Vanguard):
- Double Time – Double the duration of tactical sprint and increases crouch walking speed by 30%
- E.O.D. – Reduces damage from explosives and fire lethals
- Cold Blooded – Not detectable by AI targeting system and thermal optics. Does not trigger High Alert warning
- Quick Fix – Immediately regenerate health after killing an enemy
- High Alert – Your vision pulses whenever an enemy outside your field of view is looking at you
- Ghost – Undetectable by UAVs, Radar Drones, and Heartbeat Sensors. However, your position will be exposed if an Advanced UAV appears
- Overkill – Carry two primary weapons
- Restock – Recharge lethal and tactical equipment every 25 seconds
- Amped – Switch between weapons and use equipment faster
- Tune Up – Field upgrade charges faster
- Tracker – Enemies leave a trail of footsteps
- Battle Hardened – The effects of stun, flash, gas and EMP grenades are reduced
Modern Warfare’s sequel is coming out very soon along with these great upcoming Xbox Series X/S games.
Call of Duty: Warzone
Warzone is the integrative hub of this current generation of Call of Duty games. All of the operators and weapons from each entry can be used in this battle royale game. However, Warzone specifically runs on Modern Warfare’s gameplay engine with additional mechanics unique to the battle royale mode.
First, the most obvious difference is the use of armor plates as an extra layer of protection. Armor plates are the most important resource in Warzone because without them you will be gunned down mercilessly in seconds. So, make sure you collect as many armor plates as you can throughout the game. Keep an eye out for an armor satchel because it’ll increase the total armor plates your can carry from five to eight.
Secondly, the maps of Warzone are very large, so there are countless of spots where enemy players can be at. Positioning is the most important thing you’ll need to learn. Stay out of the open as much as possible and always go for the high ground and better positions. Usually, the winners of each match are the ones who positioned themselves in the best spots throughout the game.
The Deployable Cover field upgrade can come in handy when crossing through an open area. If you get shot at, you can quickly drop down and set up your deployable cover. This can provide a few moments of cover to refill your armor plates.
Because of the large maps, having weapons capable of long-ranged gunfights is an absolute must. Ideally, you’ll want to use assault rifles and light machine guns customized for faster bullet velocity, increased range, and an extended magazine for extra ammo.
Naturally, sniper rifles are always excellent option for large maps in any shooter game. The Kar98k Modern Warfare variant is always an excellent choice. The HDR is also a great option, especially for extreme long-range sniping.
Some of the strongest guns in Warzone right now are submachine guns. Particularly, SMGs from Call of Duty Vanguard such as the H4 Blixen and Marco 5. And, you’ll definitely want a strong, high mobility SMG in your loadout when it’s time for close range combat.
Diversify your loadouts with different weapon combinations to be ready for any situation such as assault rifle/submachine gun, light machine gun/submachine gun, assault rifle/sniper rifle, etc. Of as Pacific Season 4 Reloaded, these are some of the best weapons to use:
- KG M40
- Armaguerra 43
- H4 Blixen
- Owen Gun
- Cooper Carbine
- Marco 5
- Kar98k (MW variant)
For lethal equipment, semtex grenades and thermites are a great pick. They’re powerful and quick to throw, also they’re good counters against riot shield players. Throwing knives are great for quickly finishing off downed enemies.
Stims have dethroned stuns to become the most used tactical equipment in the game. A stim is used to regenerate your health instantly but now it also provides a temporary speed boost allowing you to slide much farther and faster. This makes the stim a great option for escaping a situation or to pursue a fleeing enemy player.
Stun grenades are still a great option, of course. Give snapshot grenades a try, these non-lethal grenades briefly reveal enemy players nearby. Flash and gas grenades can come in handy depending on the situation.
Warzone also uses the same perks as Modern Warfare, but it does have a couple of unique perks. Some great perks to use are:
- Combat Scout – Shooting an enemy briefly highlights their position, even through walls and other structures
- Tempered – Refill armor with two plates instead of three
- Double Time
- High Alert
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
Compared to Modern Warfare, the pacing of Black Ops Cold War is slower and requires more strategy. That’s not to say that the game can’t be a fast paced madhouse at times. But the game doesn’t have tactical sprinting and the movement mechanics are somewhat clunky.
Another reason for the slower pacing is that the time to kill is longer than its predecessors. Consequently, it’ll require more effort to kill enemies so you’ll really need to hit your shots in this game. A unique feature of this game is that you can see the health bar of enemy players. It’s a key indicator to let you know when it’s time push an enemy or hold your positioning.
Heavy hitting weapons are a must if you want to shred through the high TTK and rank high in the scoreboards. These weapons are your best bet for doing just that:
- Krig 6
- LW3 Tundra
Some of the best perks to include in your loadout are:
- Tactical Mask – Extra resistance to flash & stun grenades and immune to gas grenades
- Flak Jacket – Receive less damage from explosives and fire lethals
- Gearhead – Reduces the recharging time of field upgrades and allows you have two field upgrades
- Paranoia – Your vision pulses when an enemy is aiming at you from outside your field of view
- Forward Intel – Larger minimap and shows location of enemy reinforcements
- Assassin – Marks enemies on a high killstreak on the map. Elminate them to gain extra score points
- Ninja – Move more silently
Wildcards are a unique create-a-class feature in the Black Ops series. These cards give a huge power boost to your loadouts. The best Wildcards to make the strongest loadouts are:
- Perk Greed – Equip an extra perk in each slot
- Lawbreaker – Equip any weapon into both slots and use multiple perks from one perk category
Call of Duty: Vanguard
Vanguard definitely answered the call for any players that wanted an extremely fast-paced shooter game. The game brings back the tactical sprinting and fast, fluid movement of Modern Warfare. Many weapons even have their own perk that further increase the movement speed while equipped. And the time to kill in this game is possibly the shortest of any game in the franchise. Half a second is all it takes to put somebody down.
A loadout customized for high mobility and fast aim down/sprint to fire speed is what you’ll want if you wish to keep up with the rapid pace of this game. These are some of the quickest to kill guns in the game right now:
- Owen Gun
- H4 Blixen
- Machine Pistol
Every gun has an option to equip a different ammo type. The most powerful and commonly used are:
- Lengthened – Increased bullet velocity
- Incendiary – Fire bullets that inflict an afterburning effect
- FMJ – Bullets penetrate walls and obstructions
- Hollow Point – Extra damage to limbs
Excellent perks to use are:
- Fortified – Reduce damage of explosives and fire lethals
- Piercing Vision – Enemies are highlighted through walls after being shot
- Survival Training – Immune to gas and reduces stun effects
- Forward Intel
- Cold Blooded
If you enjoy shooter games like then you’ll love Apex Legend’s thrilling Control mode.